Inheritance tax

The example say’s inheritance tax is benefit as it is stepped up and long ter.
However if stock had fallen lots owner died and rose after inheritance just an it , the step up rules would be bad for inheritor . Comment please.

1 Like

Hi @Ernesto_Bahringer - the “step-up” basis rules do not always benefit inheritors. In your example involving a declining stock that rises after inheritance, the inheritor would likely pay more capital gains taxes than if the rule did not exist. However, most securities gain value over time, so the step-up rule usually works in the inheritor’s favor.

3 Likes

Many stock inheritances include the inheritance of more than one equity holding. I realize there are exceptions. My point is similar to Brandon’s with a twist. Even if the step-up basis does not benefit the beneficiary on one stock, most beneficiaries are better off because it likely benefits them on more of the inherited investments than not. So, on average, they are ahead.

Also, (and I wish I had a statistic on this) the concern also assumes that the beneficiary sells the equity sooner rather than later. This goes to Brandon’s point that eventually, most holdings will appreciate in price. I’d rather contend with price appreciation and capital gains (assuming I sell) than an asset that is losing money. :slight_smile:

2 Likes