Recent IRS Delays of IRS RMD Rules

I have noticed several news items in the past few days about the “IRS Delaying RMD Rules Again” and other items in the Secure 2.0 Act. I have kept up with your Secure Act 2.0 updates that you made in the past month or so. Do you know how the Series 65 exam will handle this recent announcement?
@Emilio Rogahn

1 Like

Hi @Emilio_Rogahn - great question. The IRS delays are particularly impacting required minimum distributions (RMDs) from inherited IRAs. We do not believe FINRA is adjusting their question bank for these short-term delays. First, FINRA hasn’t made any public comments regarding the delays. Second, the delays are only until 2024, so any adjustments made to their question bank would need to be reversed in a little over five months. In our experience, FINRA does not make abrupt adjustments to its question bank for scenarios like this.

Bottom line - FINRA is testing the new SECURE Act 2.0 rules regardless of this short-term delay and is very unlikely to make any question bank adjustments. Regardless, we’ll keep an eye on it and update our materials if anything changes.

1 Like

Thank you Brandon. That was my hope. I was concerned this was a moving target where one might not know what to expect.
Where would you post information about this on Achievable in the event you have new and/or different information? I am hoping to take my exam in August or early September.
@Emilio_Rogahn

1 Like

Hi @Emilio_Rogahn - sorry for the delay in response. We would make a change to the reading materials and the practice questions, so it would be difficult to miss if you were active in our system. Regardless, I think the chances of FINRA adjusting their question bank for these delays is very low.

1 Like

Thank you, Brandon.

Emilio_Rogahn

1 Like