First Time SIE Exam Takers

Hi @Mass_coffee_louse, selecting the drill option allows you to see the same question multiple times in a session, as it will add repeated questions up to the maximum session size. This is helpful if you’ve set a filter and want to focus on a specific concept. It’s often used with our math-based questions (like options) since you’ll be able to see the same question template repeatedly but with randomized variables each time. Drill mode is the most useful when you want to practice applying a particular technique.

1 Like

@Justin what would be a good example of the publicly traded fund but close end?

1 Like

Hi @Hungry_turquoise_par, I can answer this for you.

Here’s an interesting one - Sustainable and Social Impact Fund (TEAF). It’s a closed-end/publicly traded fund investing in socially conscious securities. It’s also trading at a huge discount to NAV. Market price is roughly $12.50, while the NAV is $15.67. As discussed in the Achievable materials, closed-end funds are the only funds that can trade below their NAV.

1 Like

Got it, thank you so much! @brandonrith

2 Likes

I took my SIE 2/14 and passed it on the first try. I only used Achievable to study but I waited until I got 100% on my readiness score and my practice tests were scoring about 90%

2 Likes

@Justin Sorry to bother you again… What are “meeting minutes” (referred to in 15.4)?

1 Like

Hi @Mass_coffee_louse - I can answer this for you. Meeting minutes are notes recorded in corporate meetings. For test purposes, you just need to know a member firm (e.g., a broker-dealer) must keep its meeting notes (minutes) on record for the firm’s lifetime.

2 Likes

@brandonrith This is from one of SIE practice questions on FINRA but it seems I could not find the answer here - Upon expiration, all in-the-money SP 100 index call options are settled by the delivery of which following (cash, SP 100 index stock, SP ETF, the same number of SP 100 index put options)… The answer is cash…please help

1 Like

Hi @Hungry_turquoise_par - I can answer this for you.

We just updated our material on index options, and all the relevant information is available in this chapter. To quickly answer your question, all index option exercises are settled in cash. Indices typically involve dozens or hundreds of stocks, and it would be very difficult for option traders to deliver that many shares at exercise. To make it easy, index option contracts require the writer (short side) to deliver the cash value of the intrinsic value (in the money amount) upon being assigned.

2 Likes

Great, saw it, thanks!

1 Like

@brandonrith - another quick question, do you have some real-world examples of ExchangeTraded Notes?

1 Like

@brandonrith - please review my logic for this question is correct or not - call protection is most valuable to bond owner when bond price are generally? (rising, falling, stable). The answer is rising…When the interest rate falls, a bond previously issued gets a higher rate probably gets called, when this happens, the bond price will rise.

1 Like

Hi @Hungry_turquoise_par,

Yes, check out our chapter on exchange-traded notes, which references this article:

It’s an interesting read and mentions a variety of real-world ETNs.

Yes, that logic is correct - though for clarity, it’s the falling interest rates that cause bond prices to rise, and the call protection is separate.

Here’s our chapter on Bond features and call protection, and a similar quiz question.

Was just gonna ask whether I was trippin or was a section actually just added to the material lol

1 Like

@Justin Thank you so much, that is great! - another one (sorry about that, SIE exam scheduled this Friday), A Registered Representative (RR) who wants to place a mutual fund advertisement must obtain written approval from which of the following parties - FINRA, State Securities Admin, A Registered Principle of RR’s firm (the answer is the Principle). Please help thanks.

1 Like

@Justin - am I correct when trading option
A closing sale = sell to close
A closing purchase = buy to close
An opening sale = sell to open
An opening purchase = buy to open?

1 Like

Yep! We make hundreds of updates every month to ensure our materials are easy to understand and updated. Usually they’re focused within the chapters, but we’ve been making some more major structural changes to improve the flow of the content.

Yes, principals must approve most Public communications.

Yes, you’re correct. Here’s our SIE chapter on Opening and closing transactions.

@Justin thanks a lot!

1 Like

How is the average time usage calculated?

1 Like