First Time SIE Exam Takers

Hello,

Is there anyone on the chat that is a first time SIE Exam taker?

2 Likes

Probably a lot of people here, although not many post!

I took my SIE about a year ago if there’s anything you’d like to ask~

1 Like

Let me know what questions you have.

1 Like

I have SIE exam in a week . Any suggestion please. I read all the chapters, and now I am planning to do all the mock exams in achievable site and attend the exam. Is that sounds ok ?

1 Like

Hi @Fantastic_lime_koi, looking at your account, it feels like you have a significant amount of studying left. At least from my view, it seems like there’s still a lot of the content that needs to be read, and it would help if you took the quizzes at the end of each chapter by clicking the “Take quiz” button at the bottom of each page. We typically recommend people take full exams only after they’ve completed all the reading material.

Alternatively, you could focus on taking practice exams. Take a full exam or two every day, carefully reviewing every question missed or guessed, and revisiting the content as needed.

It’s still certainly possible for you to pass in a week, but it doesn’t feel like you’re very close yet, and you’ll need to study hard.

1 Like

Thanks Justin . I have completed all the chapters in study.com and Investopedia, then I came too achievable to take the practice exams . Thanks for your suggestions, I will complete chapter quizzes .

1 Like

Hi @Fantastic_lime_koi, thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately, that is concerning, and it explains your lower scores on the midterm. I continually hear from customers that both those sites have a significant amount of errors in their content. If you’ve been primarily using them, I strongly suggest you read our textbook from start to finish to ensure you have a complete and accurate understanding of the material.

1 Like

Hey @Justin I was wondering how the progress chart calculates the exam readiness %. Is it just how much of the textbook I’ve completed or does it include taking practice exams? I’m asking because it says 22% but it seems like I’ve completed about a 3rd of the textbook…

1 Like

I should add that I’ve done all the quizzes of the chapters/sections I’ve read with the exception of 1 or 2

1 Like

Hi @Mass_coffee_louse, welcome! The exam readiness score is a complex aggregate that considers many factors.

The most impactful things that increase readiness are the ones we’ve identified to have the strongest correlation with real exam performance: completing textbook chapters by taking their quizzes, and scoring well on full practice exams.

There is essentially a limit on the readiness that can be reached without taking exams - it will max out at around 60-70%. Reading the textbook and taking the quizzes are important steps on your learning journey, but to demonstrate that you’ve learned and remembered the material, you need to prove it with consistently high practice exam scores.

Ah, that makes sense
Thanks

1 Like

@Justin Follow-up on the readiness % chart: It was sitting at 32% after I completed everything thru chapter 8 with all quizzes. Then I took the 40-question “midterm” exam, scored an 85 and now the readiness chart says 85%. Is that by design?

1 Like

Hi @Mass_coffee_louse, nice work on your midterm, and thanks for letting us know about this!

Based on what you’ve said it feels like that is a bit too high - I suspect there is a bug where the midterm is weighted the same as a full-length exam. I’ve filed an internal ticket to investigate and fix this.

1 Like

@Justin Thanks.
Also, are the midterm questions randomly generated or are they always the same? If they’re randomly generated, is it possible to retake it to get more practice on a variety of topics?

1 Like

The full SIE exams are semi-randomly generated and can be taken unlimited times. However, the midterm has hand-selected questions, and the system should prevent you from taking it more than once.

We think of the midterm more like a milestone or a checkpoint; some of our corporate and university partners use this score to help keep their learners on track.

1 Like

Makes sense, thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Justin, I am on section 1.2.4 of Achievable (Maintaining proportionate ownership) specifically about pre-emptive rights. I’m having a bit of trouble understanding the part where it mentions, “each right will have a specific value - for example, you may need 5 rights to purchase 1 full new share.” It previously mentions that investors receive 1 right for every share of stock owned. Does the amount of rights needed to purchase a new share just vary between each issuer?

Furthermore, how does intrinsic value apply to this? Just trying to gain a better overall understanding of rights.

I appreciate your help!

1 Like

Hi @Thick_pink_echidna, yes, you’ve got the core concepts. The investor will get one right for each share of stock they own, but the number of rights needed to purchase a new share of stock may vary.

Intrinsic value is more related to options rather than rights. If the market price of ABC is $100 and you own an ABC call option with a strike price of $90, it has $10 of intrinsic value (i.e. $100 - $90).

Please let me know if I can clarify further!

1 Like

Thank you, Justin. I appreciate your help!

1 Like

@Justin What is “repeated drill mode” in the review questions options?
Thanks

1 Like