What is Safe Harbor?

i couldn’t find any explanation on “Safe Harbor” for SIE on Achievable

1 Like

Hi @Fixed_peach_orca - safe harbor is a generalized term used by regulators to distinguish an exemption to the rules. For example, firms generally cannot place withdrawal restrictions on their clients. However, FINRA’s specified adults rule (Rule 2165) provides firms “safe harbor” to institute a temporary restriction to be placed on accounts if financial exploitation is suspected.

Does this sound like the concept you’re specifically referring to?

1 Like

correct me if I’m wrong but i think safe harbor is more related to offering circulars for interstate law and rule 147. The problem is I cannot understand which part is for SIE.

1 Like

Same concept - the term “safe harbor” could apply to Rule 147 or even Regulation D. Securities generally must be registered, but “safe harbor” applies (which allows non-registered securities to be offered) when a security is offered intrastate (Rule 147) or primarily to accredited investors (Regulation D).

While you could certainly encounter this term on various concepts, we don’t receive much feedback regarding the usage of this vocabulary on the SIE. I wouldn’t expect to encounter it more than once or twice (or at all), but it always refers to an allowed exception to the general rules.

1 Like