Very well Written - but

I want to be straight forward, your material is the best! I understand 95% of the material I’ve read so far. Re-seeing information in later chapters + quizzes helps me reinforce the process of remembering and understanding the concepts.

Your material has definitely linked the information I’ve learned from other providers which i think is critical when taking the 65 test.

My question: Your test also says its formatted in a way it looks and feels like the actual exam. It really does. Will reading all the chapters and taking its quizzes + your (15) exams over prepare me for the exam?

Ive done kaplan + PP and Q banks, but still failed a few point below because the wording or questions + answers were different from kap and PP, in a way where I couldn’t differentiate right from wrong. Please advise on what I can do to OVER prepare myself. I only have Q banks, other stuff expired alraedy.

1 Like

Hi @Striking_amaranth_bi, welcome!

I’m really happy to hear that Achievable’s course has been a good fit for you and that you appreciate the spaced review aspect of it!

We make our questions as similar as possible to the real exam. It’s basically an arms race though: as we update our questions to match the FINRA ones, FINRA updates the real ones. We make updates to our material almost every day and try to stay as close as possible.

To overprepare, the best thing you can do is just know the facts cold, inside and out. And this really is the foundation of our course, especially coupled with our memory tracking. You want to be in a place where you’re spending time on understanding and answering the question wording itself rather than being unsure of the material.

As a bit of an aside, one of the biggest mistakes we see is that people underestimate the stress of exam day. It makes us underperform, even when we know the material. We recommend that you build in a few points of a buffer on top of the required passing score, not because our questions or material are any different, but because it’s expected that you’ll end up making some silly mistakes.

It should be obvious, but just to be clear - our UX does not mirror the real exam - because that would be a terrible study experience. We have essentially the same functionality, but the exam software is old, glitchy, and you just get this sense that it might break at any time. And in person, well… sitting in the classroom with the proctor over your shoulder is also kind of nerve-wracking. So the stress builds up from there.

TAKE YOUR TIME ON THE REAL EXAM. Seriously, use every minute. With the extra stress and FINRA always changing up the wording, you should intentionally go very, very slow - to the point where it feels ridiculous. Read each question out loud in your head, slowly, paying extra attention to any of the wording gotcha words like “not”, “except”, and “must”. Reframe the question in your own, simpler words, and then go over each choice individually to see if it is true or false. Note that I said true or false, and not correct or incorrect. Because so many questions have gotcha wording, it’s better to focus on the facts. Then without worrying about the wording you can say “ok, A) true, B) true, C) false, D) true” and then it’s clear that the odd one out is the correct answer (despite sometimes being the choice that was actually false).

Anyway back to your question of what can you do to study for a retake, here are the cliff notes:

1. Take a full-length practice exam, in a single sitting (also helps train for the exam stress)
  2. Take a short break and clear your mind
  3. Review the exam, question by question, going over every single thing you missed or guessed. Remember that for every question you got wrong, there were at least two topics you need to understand: the correct answer, and why you picked the wrong answer.
  4. After reviewing all the questions, look at the summary. If there are obvious weak chapters, it wouldn’t hurt to re-read some of those textbook pages or drill the topics in review mode
  5. Repeat the previous steps as much as possible. Achievable is a complete course, and we’re all you need to pass. That said, if you do have questions from other vendors, you should absolutely use those too. Having that diversity in writing style helps ensure that you’re not subconsciously picking up on the style of the author and getting clues about the right answers that way

You can start by re-reading all the chapters if you want, but to save some time you can just strategically review. Regardless, if you’re taking 15+ practice exams in this way, seriously reviewing your mistakes, you will certainly be overprepared.

Thank you for your thorough explanation!

Btw
Achievable

Minor error on spelling for the question. The word following has 3 L’s

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve just corrected this typo!

Hey Justin,

One more I found: Achievable

When looking at the answer (at the bottom) (50/ 35 /15) , i think ya’ll meant to put (50/30/20)

1 Like

One section 3.4, under the CAPM Section Alpha’s Link does not take us to the formula for Alpha.

For future purposes, if there is a place you would like me to comment for things like this, please advise.

1 Like

Hi @Striking_amaranth_bi - thanks for pointing out these issues.

One more I found: Achievable

When looking at the answer (at the bottom) (50/ 35 /15) , i think ya’ll meant to put (50/30/20)

Yes - @Justin, can you fix this issue?

One section 3.4, under the CAPM Section Alpha’s Link does not take us to the formula for Alpha.

For future purposes, if there is a place you would like me to comment for things like this, please advise.

Fixed! Thanks again!

1 Like

https://app.achievable.me/study/finra-series-65/quiz/CTKV6#seed=6YXRF&slug=which-market-formation-is-considered-a-reverse-downward-trend

Can you explain this answer to me please. Thank you

1 Like

Achievable

This question as well.

From what I understand, I used your rule of 100 to get age 66. How can I make better answer choices on the test between the 5 and 10 year time horizon. Especially when there is a higher % in small cap stock vs mid & large cap. thanks!

1 Like

Here are the answers to your questions.

Achievable

Can you explain this answer to me please. Thank you

This material is covered in the [technical analysis chapter]. When you posted this question, I realized the material covering reverse downward trends was in another part of our program, so I’ve consolidated it into the correct chapter. Here’s a snippet on this topic:

A saucer bottom formation looks something like this:

Saucer bottom formation

It kind of looks like a saucer (bowl), right? Technical analysts try to identify trends like this, which help them predict future market movements. While the stock price started and ended in the same general area, the stock is moving upwards after bottoming out. This is referred to as a reverse downward trend. The stock price was moving down, then reversed back upward.

Let’s look at your second question:

Achievable

This question as well.

From what I understand, I used your rule of 100 to get age 66. How can I make better answer choices on the test between the 5 and 10 year time horizon. Especially when there is a higher % in small cap stock vs mid & large cap. thanks!

This is a tough question, and definitely a bit subjective. The reason relates to two things beyond the rule of 100 - the risk tolerance and time horizon. It’s the 50% allocation into short term bonds that makes the low risk tolerance and the 5 year time horizon more appropriate. While there’s a 15% allocation into small cap stocks, it’s still a small allocation in the grand scheme of the account. You should give more weight to allocations that comprise significant portions of the portfolio. With half of the portfolio in very safe securities (short term bonds), it makes the correct answer more appropriate.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

https://app.achievable.me/study/finra-series-65/quiz/9Q9FF#seed=JQBD6&slug=18-months-of-gdp-decline

Please elaborate answer. Thank you

1 Like

It looks like something happened with the formatting of the question, I’ve just corrected it!

Here’s the main info:

A recession is defined as 6 straight months (2 quarters) of GDP decline, while a depression is 18 straight months (6 quarters) of GDP decline.

Achievable

Hi can you explain the answer! thanks

1 Like

I thought lower Yield would be the answer

1 Like

Sure thing. Here’s the explanation again:

Interest rate risk occurs when interest rates rise, resulting in the values of fixed income securities declining. The securities with the longest maturities with the lowest coupons are the most affected, and also reflect the longest durations. Duration measures the amount of time a fixed income security takes to “pay for itself” (the time it takes an investor to receive their initial investment back). Therefore, the longer the duration, the more price volatility experienced.

Securities most affected by interest rate risk decline the most in price when interest rates rise. The further their price declines, the higher the yield increases.

To reframe in different terms, the main points are:

• Interest rate risk is the risk that interest rates might rise, meaning that existing securities issued with lower interest rates will be less attractive compared to the current market
  • The longer the duration, the greater this risk, simply because there is more time for market conditions to change
  • Risk and reward are always correlated: higher yields will come with greater risks

Hey Justin, last question.

I’ve been putting all my time and effort into achievable when I’m free from family and work duties. Will doing the practice exam a few more times and explicating the process right or wrong be suffcient to passing the 65?

There are a few tricky questions that I misread and some “oh man that info just slipped my mind”. Asides that, everything seems clear as day, more as a refresher. I hardly use Kaplan bc of lack of time. I’m trusting the process!

1 Like

That sounds like a solid plan and I think you should be in good shape!

Definitely be careful of misreading questions though - although it might not seem like a big deal, you want to get those easy points!