Series vs Serial Bonds

Got any tricks for remembering the difference between these two?

Maybe serial has an A so that means serials are issued on the sAme day - and mature on different days??

I think I’ve answered my question. :joy:

3 Likes

I like it, @rfj5002! Maybe that will stick?

I once had a colleague at work that had 5 kids. He used to say he would give each of his kids a bowl of cereal (serial) at the same time. However, they all finished their cereal at different times. Hopefully you get the analogy - serial issuances involve all bonds being initially offered that the same time, but maturing at different times in the future.

I haven’t figured one out for series, though. I tried to see if I could come up with a baseball analogy (the World Series)… but couldn’t find anything that matched a bond offering starting at different times, but maturing all at once. I feel like there’s something there, though…

6 Likes

I like the cereal analogy! I appreciate your responsiveness to this forum. I can tell you guys are passionate about what you do. I am grateful I decided to give Achievable a shot!!!

3 Likes

We’re glad you’re using Achievable, too! @Justin and I watch over this forum every day and are always happy to help. Stay in touch and good luck with your studies!

2 Likes

I think that works.

There are many games that start at different times in the “series”, however it all ends at the same in the Series Final.

Yea?

2 Likes

Love it! Great word play!

1 Like

I like to think of it like this.

Series - A popular TV Series has multiple seasons (many issues), and eventually one reunion (one maturity).

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I think about it like “cereal”… I buy a box of cereal at the grocery store on one day (i.e. same day) and then I eat from that box of cereal over the next few days (i.e. the cereal matures at different days)

Now, replace “cereal” with “serial” and you’ve got it!

1 Like

Great analogy makes a lot of sense to me. I like this idea. however, i think i could link to it to baseball. maybe we could imagine that there is different minor league games happening around the world at the same time. Then they all finishing at different times.

1 Like

You had it right there! The College World Series, all the games are played at different times, but you find out who won the series at the same time (no matter who wins each game the Finals is always played on the same date established before the Series started). This was very helpful. Thank you Brandon.

2 Likes

Love the CWS analogy! My alma mater is Florida State… the team hasn’t been since 2019, but hopefully we can get back in soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

love the cereal and series analogies. The cereal really works :bowl_with_spoon:

1 Like