Leading, coincident, lagging economic indicator

I know these have been tested many times, but I always forget, what is the logic so that I can remember? Thanks a lot.

Achievable

1 Like

Hi @Hungry_turquoise_par, I think the question explanation walks through this pretty thoroughly, but let me know if there’s anything I can clarify!

A leading economic indicator provides insights into future economic growth or decline, most commonly measured by gross domestic product (GDP). The following are categorized as leading indicators:

A coincident economic indicator provides insights into current economic growth or decline, most commonly measured by gross domestic product (GDP). The following are categorized as coincident indicators:

• Number of employees on non-farm payrolls
  • Average hours worked
  • Personal income levels
  • Industrial production levels
  • Manufacturing sales
  • Unemployment rate

A lagging economic indicator provides insights into past economic growth or decline, most commonly measured by gross domestic product (GDP). The following are categorized as lagging indicators:

• Changes in CPI levels
  • Corporate profits
  • Change in labor cost per unit of output
  • Average duration of unemployment

I’ll add just a few things to @Justin’s comment above - there is some reasoning for a few of the indicators:

• S&P 500 = leading because the stock market’s performance is usually an indicator of where the economy is going in 6-12 months.
  • Initial/new “stuff” = leading because initial claims of unemployment and new orders are indications of future activity. A person that just claimed unemployment may have months ahead of them of low or no pay, and there may be big economic problems ahead if it’s happening to a lot of people. New orders for goods show an accelerating economy. New building permits help determine if steel/wood/other building supplies will be bought across the economy.
  • Corporate profits = lagging because corporations report their profits on a lag. For example, we’ll have “earnings season” in mid-late October, where many corporations will report their Q3 results from July, August and September.

Most of the others just “are what they are.”

1 Like

I appreciate your input Brandon. These are great points help me remember.

1 Like