Failed SIE 61%, any words of advice?

Hello all, I had recently took the SIE on August 18th. I did better than I thought. I felt like very lost early on. I had studied using Kaplan but I did lack taking practice tests which I should’ve done more and now will do. I have been studying using the Achieveable service, which I love, do you recommended to reread the entire book? Just wondering how should I approach this. I have began the book about 2 chapters in while I do have a solid grasp of everything I would like to know what everyone thinks I should do.

1 Like

Hi @Nervous_coffee_llama, thanks for reaching out.

I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t score as well as you had hoped, but we’ll do our best to help you pass on your next take.

I’d recommend that you start by taking one of our full practice exams. The score summary FINRA gives you is pretty vague, and by taking one of our practice exams, you’ll get a chapter-by-chapter breakdown and it’ll be easier to see your strengths and weaknesses. If you’re generally scoring pretty high but just have a few low points, then you can go and re-read just those chapters and save yourself a solid amount of time. If your scores are a bit lower across the board, then you might want to consider reading through all the material.

In either case, you should definitely plan on taking (and carefully reviewing) at least five practice exams!

Sounds good! Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated. I will keep in touch of how it goes! Have a good rest of the day.

1 Like

I had just took a practice exam and received a 52%, bummed, but I know that I will just have to put in more work. Do you recommend to reread the book? Or look at certain parts my score was low?

1 Like

I’d say it depends on how much time you have. Looking at your consolidated score report (just above the practice exam tiles), it looks like you’re currently a little weak across the board, but there are some areas that stick out, like bond fundamentals, primary and secondary market, and retirement plans.

Those weaker areas could be good places to start so you get the most immediate value from your study time, but it feels like to be confident in your next take, you will probably want to review most of the material.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you for all the information! I’m not really pressed for time. In the next month an a half I would like to take it. I will be studying everyday surely, how often a week do you recommend taking practice exams?

1 Like

I think to start, it’s better to focus on the reading material and the chapter quizzes for those trickier sections. Once you’ve gone through your main weak spots, then you can go for another practice exam and you should be able to see a major improvement!