Dates - Settlement/dividends

I am a bit confused on all the counted dates… lol… I thought I was clear, then it becomes a mess.
First, settlement dates:
corporate T+2
options T +2
Treasury T+1
cash same day??

Ex-dividends day is 2 calendar days from record day??

Dates for accrued interest:
treasury/government 30 days/360 a year
the rest is actual days/365 days a year

Am I right? Please help.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @A11! Let’s go through the specifics.

I believe this is the easiest way to remember regular way settlement timeframes:

• US Government securities - T+1
  • Trading options - T+1
  • Exercising* non-equity options - T+1
  • All others - T+2

*An exercise of an equity option is subject to a T+2 settlement. Remember, exercising stock (equity) options results in the purchase or sale of common stock. Therefore, the settlement becomes the normal settlement for stock - T+2. Exercising any other type of option results in the delivery or receipt of cash, subject to a T+1 settlement.

The ex-dividend day for stocks is one business day prior to the record day (not two). Remember, the record date is the day an investor must be an owner of settled stock to receive the dividend. For example, let’s assume Friday, September 24th is the record date for a cash dividend. To receive the dividend, the investor must purchase the stock by Wednesday, September 22nd (T+2 settlement means it will settle on Friday, the record date). This is the last date the stock could be purchased if the investor wanted to receive the dividend. Thursday, September 23rd would be the ex-date, which is the first date the stock would be purchased and the dividend would not be received. If purchased on Thursday, settlement won’t happen until Monday, one day too late.

For accrued interest, you have it backwards.

• Corporate / municipal = 30/360
  • US Government = Actual / 365

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

4 Likes

That helps for sure.

One thing on the non-equity options, what will be an example? Future? but i don’t think that will be tested.

Does Index options count towards equity options? If that’s the case, should I keep in mind for options settlement is T+2 then for the purpose of the exam only. Please confirm.

Thanks.

1 Like

Index options are non-equity options. These are the four non-equity options to be aware of for the exam:

While they tend to be lightly tested, it’s possible you encounter some non-equity index option questions on the actual exam. T+1 settlement for all of them, regardless of what’s happening.

T+2 only comes up with options if a stock (equity) option is exercised. That’s it.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

That’s perfect. so index options are considered as non-equity options. Got it. I have not thought about currency options in that sense, but now I have that in mind. Thanks for great info’.

2 Likes

Great thread. I believe Muni and Corp Bonds settle T+2, correct? If so, per your comment, does Exercising an Option on Muni or Corp Bonds still settle in T+1? If so, please clarify why there is a discrepancy. Thanks!

2 Likes

Great question @MessyMon - the only bond-related option contracts to be aware of are on Treasuries. Oftentimes referred to as yield-based options, these always settle in T+1.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, @brandonrith. I am still on SIE :hot_face:. I was just curious on the Muni and Corp for my personal understanding.

2 Likes

Oh gotcha! The only bond-related options that are available to the general public are the Treasury yield-based options I previously mentioned. To the best of my knowledge, there are no options available for specific corporate or municipal bonds. However, there are so many unique financial products out there, so there might be something out there that I’m not aware of.

1 Like